Berkshire Pork Chops
Our Berkshire Pork makes some really delicious pork chops.These boneless chops are cut about 1.5 inches thick, and each pack includes 2 chops ranging from 1 to 1.5 # per package.
For a simple preparation:
- Allow the chops to come to room temp.
- Season with salt and pepper, and pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Sear the pork chops in an oven safe skillet, in a little butter or oil, over medium high heat, for 3-4 minutes per side. You want to get a nice golden brown on each side of the chops.
- Move the whole skillet into the oven to finish cooking. The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chops, but should only be about 10-13 minutes.
- Check often after placing the chops in the oven. Press the center of the chop. When it begins to firm up it is cooked enough. Try to avoid over cooking.
- Remove the chops from the oven. Add a few drops of honey on each chop. Pairs nicely with cooked fruit and braised greens.
Why are these chops so amazing? Mostly because our farmers do it right. First, these hogs are a heritage breed known as a Berkshire. They are prized for their intramuscular marbling and darker meat color. These hogs live outside their entire lives, hence the term pasture raised (like the chickens). They dine on what they forage in the woods, as well as a nutrient-rich, locally milled non-GMO grain mixture. Even the way we deworm the hogs is with an organic product known as diatomaceous earth. This ensures that you have the cleanest possible product.